[Amps] Small transformer evaluation

To: Amps reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Small transformer evaluation
From: Vic K2VCO <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 13:37:10 -0700
Some of you will remember that I was wondering about utilizing a small Philco power transformer (model 45-7011-7) for a screen supply. It puts out 380-0-380 vac plus 5 and 6 v for filaments. I have hooked it up jn a full-wave ct circuit feeding a choke-input filter and 20 uf capacitor. It is feeding a 4300 ohm 50w resistor for a load.

I measure an AC voltage of 378v on either half of the secondary and 315v DC across the load (83% of the AC). Current is about 73 ma. It has been sitting for about 20 minutes and I can detect a very slight rise in temperature of the transformer. I am going to let it sit for at least an hour.

I think that I am proving that I will be able to draw this much current, but the voltage is too low. Next I am going to try it as capacitor-input and see what happens.

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA