Re: [Amps] Zener Screen Regulators

To: dezrat1242@yahoo.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Zener Screen Regulators
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 03:36:44 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Bill. the self destruct action is a dissipation issue. A typical 1000v
3A diode can handle about 2A on a continuous basis and that comes out to
about  1.5 watts (.7V X 2A).

Many of the 1N5408 diodes tested showed avalanche action at about 1400v.
Staying within the 1.5 watt figure, that allows only 1.5 / 1400 = 1.07
milliamps  current flow. One would expect long term survival at that
voltage/current/wattage.

A 12 v zener might have a 25 watt rating and that would allow 2.08 amps
that needs derating to about 1A for long term survival.

I am not sure what application a 1.5W 1400v zener would be needed for but
the part is readily available.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 9/6/2012 10:09:12 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
dezrat1242@yahoo.com writes:

ORIGINAL  MESSAGE:
vOn Thu, 06 Sep 2012 11:55:28 +0100, David wrote:

>To  add a spanner into the works regarding the direction of current, I
don't know
>why these things are call zener diodes, since all the high voltage  ones
work on
>avalanche breakdown.
>
>Dave,  G8WRB

REPLY:
Zener diodes are different from regular diodes because  they are designed
to pass
current in the reverse direction and survive. All  silicon diodes have a
zener
point where they begin reverse conduction, but  unless they are specifically
designed for it, most of them will immediately  self-destruct.

More info:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zener_diode

73, Bill  W6WRT