Re: [Amps] Load testing HV power supplies

To: Chris Wilson <chris@chriswilson.tv>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Load testing HV power supplies
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 18:02:50 +0100
On 24 September 2012 12:25, Chris Wilson <chris@chriswilson.tv> wrote:

>   24/09/2012 12:21
>
> I am in the midst of making a couple of HV power supplies. I would
> like to know if there's a safe means of testing these under load,
> without using the RF deck and an expensive tube to put a load on?

I used 100 W light bulbs when I did it. They were cheaper than 100 W
resistors. Just string them in series, on an insulated board. Whether
you consider it "safe" depends on the circumstances. I would not think
it very sensible to do it where there are animals around, children, or
anyone else around, since the high voltages can't be contained easily.
But with some common sence, I think it is a workable solution.

Dave G8WRB