Re: [Amps] Henry 2KD-Classic blower

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Henry 2KD-Classic blower
From: Mike A <mikea@mikea.ath.cx>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 13:19:45 -0500
On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 10:52:27PM -0400, Mark - K4SO wrote:
> My Henry 2KD-Classic has developed a noisy blower. Overly so, that is,
> with a cyclical noise, about 4 times/second. I have a spare one in much
> newer condition. Any tips on replacing it? I'd rather not take off any
> more sheet metal than necessary to make the swap. I'll re-lube the
> existing one first, just in case, but this is a mechanical. cyclical
> drone and doesn't sound like lubrication will make the difference.
> Cleaning may be an issue since the blower has never really been out and
> fully cleaned. It seems to me there is access via the input circuit
> access panel on the bottom, to reach the squirrel cage, so maybe I can
> clean it that way. It almost sounds like an out of balance issue.
>
> Any experiences you can share would be appreciated. (And I thought
> removing/repairing the blower in the Alpha 89 was a bear :-)

I don't have a Henry 2KD -- more's the pity -- but have a tiny little
experience with blowers.

This sounds like the rotor is "whirling" -- as if the bearings are worn
to the point that it doesn't rotate along its own axis, but rather very
slightly off. It may be just that the vanes have collected enough dust
that one point is slightly out of balance; that can start the process.
If so, it could be vacuum, pipe-cleaner, and cotton swab time to get
stuff out.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea@mikea.ath.cx