Re: [Amps] Odd Problem with SB-201

To: "Jim W7RY" <w7ry@centurytel.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Odd Problem with SB-201
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 13:09:21 -0400
That really doesnt work very well as now there is no way to apply operating or cutoff bias without more work than it is worth. Plus anything that increases gain potentially reduces stability since neutralization was marginal to start with on 10-15M.

By simply adding a .01 to .02 1000V disc cap across the existing 200pf grid capacitors and replacing the parasitic suppressor resistors with Ohmite OY series resistors (use the original coil or wind a new one) the results are the same. High stability along with more output than is safe for Chinese tube which are only rated at 125W dissipation and have poor emission life when abused.

I also suggest no more than 75W drive unless a 10-12 Ohm non inductive NFB resistor is used at the input.

At 600-650W out the amp will last a lot longer and the signal difference wont even be heard.

Carl
KM1H

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim W7RY" <w7ry@centurytel.net>