Re: [Amps] Question re GU-74B grid current

To: "Jim W7RY" <w7ry@centurytel.net>, "Leigh Turner" <invertech@frontierisp.net.au>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Question re GU-74B grid current
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 09:10:47 -0400
YEAH Jim, just shows you the Hammy Hambone engineering capability of a few.

It reminds me a bit of WW2 when the 450TL wouldnt make enough power as a radar pulse modulator. So Eimac increased the filament voltage from 7.5 to 8.2V and slapped a 6C21 number on it. It should come as no surprise that service life was short resulting in a tidy profit for the various manufacturers.

Of course, George Badger, VP of Svetlana USA was from Eimac and it was he who championed that tube and the change. I have some of the original Russian test data for efficiency and IMD....it aint pretty!

And Leigh, dont bother repeating ad nauseum how well your Emtron works with the GU74B at the 400W VK power limit.

Carl
KM1H

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim W7RY" <w7ry@centurytel.net>