[Amps] Ten Tec Titan 425 Options

To: "'Amps'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Ten Tec Titan 425 Options
From: "Gary \"Joe\" Mayfield" <gary_mayfield@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 22:39:22 -0600
A little over a year ago I acquired a working Ten Tec Titan 425.  It spent a
year in the closet as I had nothing to load it into.  I finally got the new
antenna up and turned on the amplifier.  After about 30 minutes the fuses
popped and the amp was dead.

I took it to Burghardt Radio Repair and Jim said the transformer was good,
but most of the rest of the supply was toast.  I believe him as he has
always been fair and square with me.

He said there was a mod that added another diode to each leg of the bridge
that probably would have saved me.  I paid him for the diagnosis and brought
the amp and supply home.  The bad news is the caps alone are around $800.
Other parts, labor and I am probably looking at $1200 or more.  I don't have
that kind of cash and if I did I'm not sure this would be the most effective
way to spend it.  So, I am trying to figure out my options.

Any suggestions?

Thanks and 73,
Joe kk0sd