[Amps] low Q output matching

To: "'AMPS'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] low Q output matching
From: "Carel, pc5m" <pc5m@xs4all.nl>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 16:26:38 +0100
Hi, I was wondering what else, besides bad harmonic suppression, will happen
when I design my (single band) output matching network (PI-L)  with low Q
(lowest Q needed to get the match done) ?

When using low Q design I will get
- much smaller (variable) capacitors, especially for the bigger load C, so
easier to get components
- broader no-tune range
-smaller RF stress on the components

As an example for a 160mtrs amp, with Rload of 1700Ohm and intermediate
impedance around 330Ohm:
With Q of 10:
CLoad =1200pF
L-l=10uH
Ctune=293pF
Lpi=33uH

With lowest Q:

CLoad=400pF
L-l=10uH
Ctune=132pF
Lpi=33uH

When you plot both matching networks  in a Smith diagram you see immediate
the difference. Low Q is much more straightforward.
To get the needed harmonic suppression a lowpass filter with fixed
components is easy to construct (first harmonic at 3,8MHz needs 25dB and
second one 20dB to get the same values as higher Q design). But maybe I have
overlooked something . Thanks for your ideas
73's Carel, pc5m