Re: [Amps] conductive grease for roller inductor

To: "Ralph Young" <ralry@chartertn.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] conductive grease for roller inductor
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 13:51:15 -0500
On 2012-11-21, at 2:15 PM, Ralph Young wrote:

> I have a Nye-Viking tuner with their home made roller inductor.   The roller
> has seized up on the shaft that guides it along the inductor.   They used
> some sort of conductive grease on the shaft and a few other places on the
> inductor assembly to improve contact.   Does anyone have a source for a
> conductive grease I can use on the roller once I get it all apart and freed
> up?

Hi Ralph,

Once you get that puppy free & loose of its moorings, lube any & all contact
surfaces in the future with ordinary CASTOR OIL...

That's what I do here with my THREE roller inductors that I employ in two HB
transmatches, & a HB linear amplifier. Don't go overboard with the stuff---use
just enough to coat the surfaces smoothly, preferably after a complete pass, or
to, of the mechanism after you've oiled it.

The maintenance & tooling department at GM in Oshawa used to do the castor oil
trick on ALL of their electro-mechanical devices back in the day---and it
works, too, but you'll probably have to re-visit the device after a couple of
years, or so, to "freshen" it up.

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ