Re: [Amps] Ten-Tec Centurion Design Flaw?

To: Jim W7RY <jimw7ry@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ten-Tec Centurion Design Flaw?
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 05:24:40 -0600
I am the one who may have written about the Centurion caps previously.
 I have modified my Centurion by removing the stock caps and putting
in HEC doorknobs.  I kept the 40 and 80 m. arrangement and kept the
HECs close to the stock values because the amp tuned and loaded okay
on those bands.  I thought load tuning on 160 needed help so I added a
doorknob on that band with the lug on the bandswitch that is otherwise
unused on 160.  But my main reason for the doorknobs was because I use
the amp on AM which it was not designed for, and the duty cycle and
current on 160 seemed to tax the stock caps.  If your customer only
intends to use his Centurion for CW and SSB those disc caps may be
okay.  I checked them out and they are good RF class 1 disc caps, just
not high current low frequency caps.

Why did they do it?  Because Ten Tec like most for-profit companies,
employs engineers who are paid to save the company money.

73

Rob
K5UJ