Re: [Amps] SHV connectors...

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SHV connectors...
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq72@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 08:39:50 +0000
I think the 1900V rating applies under circumstances which are very different from using the cable with SHV connectors.

The breakdown voltage for polyethylene is something around 20kV/mm. I have tested different brands of RG58 for breakdown - if the centre dielectric is long enough so that the open end does not arc, I have never seen breakdown at the 16kV limit of my tester.

SHV connectors assembled with RG58 are rated for 5kV+, for example, MDC Vacuum in the UK have a version rated for 10kV with RG58 specified as the cable to use.

Steve

Hi Jim,

Thanks for reply. I will give a try for the chinese connectors. I am afraid
of RG58, as by it specs its limit is 1900VRMS.

73,

Felipe Ceglia - PY1NB