Re: [Amps] 813 efficiency

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 813 efficiency
From: Vic K2VCO <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 08:18:40 -0800
The 813 has a relatively high output capacity (14 pf) so it can be difficult to get a reasonable Q on 28 mHz with practical components. It helps to use a vacuum capacitor with a lower minimum as the pi input capacitor. You can also add a little inductance between the tube and the pi network to make it an "L-PI" network. This will solve the Q problem, but increases the inductance in the parasitic tank circuit formed by the path from the plate, through the capacitor and back to the cathode (or grid, in the case of a gg circuit).

A certain amount of power will be wasted in the parasitic suppressor. If you can produce a stable amplifier without a suppressor in the plate circuit (suppressors can be placed in grid and screen circuits) then you could improve performance.

My 2x813 grid-driven amplifier produces about 100 watts less on 28 mHz than
lower bands.