Re: [Amps] 813 efficiency

To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 813 efficiency
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 07:22:45 -0500
On 2013-02-22, at 11:14 AM, Jim Thomson wrote:

> ##  eddy, toss the books. Spend 5 mins with the GM3SEK  PI  software instead.
>  The L PI is the ticket,  but it can take many variations.   With higher
> amounts of L in the plate lead  ( anywhere b4 the tune cap)
> you require less L  in the main 10m coil..and vice versa.   You can see that
> effect right away in the software.    There is NO reason to have to switch
> that coil out of the circuit, why bother ?

Because the tuning on the lower bands was radically altered with it in, far &
away removed from quoted "text book specs" for a pair of 813s in GG...

> ##  and why would you want to switch the coil in the plate lead at the plate
> caps ?    You shoulda just put the coil  AFTER the plate block caps, and b4
> the tune cap.    Then it wouldn’t have any B+ on your switching contacts.
> The way you have done it, you have both B+ and RF voltage on it.   When
> driven full bore, the anode..and your mercury relay contacts...will have
> almost twice the key down B+ voltage on it.   The RF in the tank circuit
> is AC.   And AC will back feed through the plate block caps... and onto the
> anode..and eveything in its path.

Makes sense---good idea. Guess I shoulda considered that before incorporating
the scheme...as I recall, I simply copied the methodology used in the ARRL
literature...

> ##  remove your popsicle stick, mercury relay, etc... and toss em.    Insert
> your L coil  between plate block caps and tune cap.   If no room insert in
> plate lead.    Toss any parasitic suppressor,  the amp doesn’t
> need it on any band.

No---I don't think so. The thing works well enough for me now, as it is...why
fix it, if it ain't broke, right...?!   :o)

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ