[Amps] Heatsinks for SSPAs - Newbie Questions and UK source

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Heatsinks for SSPAs - Newbie Questions and UK source
From: Conrad Farlow <conrad@g0ruz.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 17:10:57 +0000
I am just about to try an build my first ever SSPA using a pallet with a heat-spreader, only 250W in AB for this first one. I must confess that I am utterly clueless when it comes to working out what I need for a heatsink.

The device is a BLF278 and there is some thermal data on the datasheet as you might expect. This amplifier will be operating on the low VHF bands so I expect I'll get an efficiency of around 55% in AB mode. The max dissipation of the device is 500W so I suppose that means that I have to get rid of 225W of heat. The datasheet then goes on to mention thermal resistance from the junction to the mounting base and then the thermal resistance from the mounting base to the heatsink. Is the mounting base the heat-spreader or is that just the mounting flange of the device.

Anyway armed with that data how on earth do I figure out the heat sinking requirements.

Assuming someone enlightens me can anyone tell me a good source of suitable heatsinks in Europe, even better if it is a UK source? I would like to mount a pair of 24v fans on the heatsink relatively easily.

Many thanks

Conrad G0RUZ