Re: [Amps] Freescale LDMOS devices / load mismatch survival

To: "Peter Frenning [OZ1PIF]" <peter@frenning.dk>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Freescale LDMOS devices / load mismatch survival
From: George <K4GVT@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 09:37:17 -0400
Very nice project, nicely built and quite the survival test.
Thank you for sharing the data and great pictures.

73,
George, K4GVT

On 3/11/2013 4:14 AM, Peter Frenning [OZ1PIF] wrote:
Den 11-03-2013 09:01, Steve Thompson skrev:
The video is, indeed, impressive - but it could also give a false impression. The transistor operating spec. is 100us pulses at 20% duty cycle - 100us on, 400us off. Looking at the current drawn during the variable load pull test, it's not running cw. Also, the test is being done at 200MHz and ruggedness doesn't necessarily translate to lower frequencies for those thinking of hf applications.

At 100us long pulses, the die inside probably isn't reaching the peak temperature for any given dissipation which makes high VSWR survival easier.

F1JRD tested Freescale devices with all phases of high load VSWR running 10ms pulses, low duty cycle. They survived, so a trip circuit acting faster than that should protect them. I'd expect NXP parts to be similar.

Steve
I, inadvertently, tested mine when the output coax relay gave up it's ghost, see the pictures toward the bottom of the page:
http://www.frenning.dk/OZ1PIF_HOMEPAGE/LDMOS_SSPA.html
The LDMOS survived! I was running Digimode at about the 750W level when it failed.