Re: [Amps] AL80B low power

To: "Art" <W3TZ@cox.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL80B low power
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 08:53:01 -0400

I was testing a used 3-500z and blew the swamping resistor in the filament ckt. I replaced this resistor and put my original tube back in the
and it will only draw 300ma on the plate and 100ma on the grid.

There is no swamping resistor in the filament. Where was this located?

The grid resistor R28 in stby has +25V and goes down to 9.5V in xmit. I thought it
should go to 0V.

The 25V is the standby bias and the 9.5 is the operating bias.

I am trying to find out if the tube is gone or has something else gone kapoot. I replaced Q2 and Q3 on the SWR board.

The AMERTRON schematics leave to much hanging. I wonder if anyone has made a good schematic of the AL80B.
Any advice as to what might be wrong with the amp would be helpful.

Art  W3TZ

Never saw a good AL-80B schematic

Carl
KM1H