Re: [Amps] 425 Amp

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 425 Amp
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 08:16:10 -0700
On 4/4/2013 3:06 AM, Andy Cook, G4PIQ wrote:
Do check the HV filter capacitors which will are very suspect by this age of
amp. I've found that when they fail, the overdrive light comes on with just
a few watts of drive but not with the normal intensity - I suspect this may
be related to the HV supply being deeply modulated with 100/120 Hz.

My experience has been one cap in the HV string will fail open, and I'll get reports of a raspy CW note. That has happened to me 2-3 times, and the overdrive light did NOT come on. All three of my 425s came to me used. With one of them, I replaced one cap in the string and several years later it's still running fine. With one, after I replaced the first cap, another failed soon after, and I replaced it. With the third, for one reason or another I replaced the whole string. I don't remember why.

The overdrive light is monitoring grid current, and is designed to come on when it's greater than 120mA. The schematic on my website may help your troubleshooting efforts.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm

73, Jim K9YC