Re: [Amps] Need help with switch nomenclature

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Need help with switch nomenclature
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 14:58:21 -0400
On 04/25/2013 02:50 PM, Charles Bibb - K5ZK wrote:

Way back in my foggy memory somewhere, I remember using and amplifier
made by B & W.   I think it was a "Model 1500", but I'm not sure.  It
used a pair of 813's.

What I remember as unique about this amp was its "ON" or "POWER" switch.
It used a rotary switch to turn on the various functions one at a time.

In other words:  Position 1 turned on the fan only. Position 2 kept the
fan on, and lit the filaments. Position 3 kept the previous two
functions on, and turned on the hV supply.

My question is, then:  What is this kind of switch called?  I used one
of these switches (salvaged from an old tube tester) in my very first
amplifier, and I'd like to use one again, but for the life of me I can't
find one from my usual parts sources because I don't know what it's
properly called.

It isn't "make before break" because it never breaks the previous
positions.  I thought it would just be a "shorting type", but this is
not the way any of the "shorting type" switches offered for sale operate.

I'm stumped!  Any help would be appreciated.

If you use DC relays to control everything, any non-shorting rotary switch can be used with the addition of steering diodes.
--
  Ron  KA4INM - Youvan's corollary:
                Every action results in unwanted side effects.