Re: [Amps] chassis maker?

To: <garyk9gs@wi.rr.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] chassis maker?
From: <pulsarxp@embarqmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 22:39:31 -0500
I think what Dick had in mind was a company similar to the one Charles Byers owned and ran. That is, a small metal shop where one could have a thick chassis built to your dimensions. Charles offered such a service, produced the product promptly, charged a modest price and did good work. Charles was not put out to do just one special chassis. (He didn't make complex cabinets). He bent metal. This was a cottage industry for him and he was a ham. Both WA5VGO and I used him for projects from time to time. WA5VGO used him to build a bunch of chassis for his complex double conversion receivers and also for some nice 100 watt type transmitters. I used him for some Paraset boxes as well as for my Philmore NT-200 clone projects. Charles was always eager to help by building the chassis you wanted. He was not into machined and milled cabinets.

With so much small lot production done off shore these days, it seems most small lot machine shops have gone extinct. They sure have dried up around here in Houston, Texas. I too would like to find a replacement small company who could generate needed small metal work for single ham radio projects. I also have a friend here in Houston who constantly builds tube HI-Fi Amplifiers and he has a hard time getting chassis too. I know he uses someone in Florida, but he needs to buy 50 at a time of any he wants built. If you try and build an amp, transmitter, or receiver today containing a few transformers, you may as well forget Bud or Hammond as the metal is so thin it can't handle the weight unless you put in a lot of time "beefing" up the thin chassis. TenTec does a great job in a big way with nice cabinets at reasonable prices but there product line is fixed and their line is mostly cabinets and not chassis.

Anyone out there know of a replacement company for Charles Byers?

Lee, w0vt
Houston

\