Re: [Amps] Miller-Larson effect on thoriated tungsten filaments

To: Leigh Turner <invertech@frontierisp.net.au>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Miller-Larson effect on thoriated tungsten filaments
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 01:03:50 -0500
Thanks, Leigh. If nothing else, those books emphasize the importance of a
soft-start circuit.

Evidently, it's the *change* in temperature that affects the life. If
holding the temp constant at those critical temperatures would actually
rapidly destroy the filament, I can't say.

A good friend of mine, WW8N, uses CL-60 current limiters in the 240 vac
PRIMARY circuit of the filament xfmr of his 3-500Z amp. These limiters are
10 ohms cold and a fraction of an ohm at rated current.
http://www.rfparts.com/inrush.html

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 12:48 AM, Leigh Turner <invertech@frontierisp.net.au