[Amps] why a tube fails ?

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] why a tube fails ?
From: Charles Harpole <k4vud@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 01:26:57 +0000
Some time ago I asked WHY DOES A TUBE FAIL?
Or What happens when a tube fails or becomes "soft"?

I hope to get a discussion about this matter and electric flow generally.  I am
asking this question on the ATOMIC LEVEL.

The best answer I have heard is that the vacuum inside the tube is not perfect
and the tiny amount of oxygen inside does oxidize or interact with the metals
inside and eventually breaks one of the metal parts through deterioration of
one spot which becomes thin and then separates via the chemical changes of the
metal in the presence of oxygen (a process often called "rusting").

Then what happens when a tube gives low output but is not dead?  Is it the case
that the "rusting" has reduced the area of conductivity (a part is smaller but
not broken) and the output drops?   Is this how the tube becomes "soft"?

Then, the allied question arises about the flow of electrons as it relates to
tubes.  The common understanding is that the element in the tube is heated
causing additional excitation of the atoms (electrons will leave their atom
more easily) and, that is combined with the application of an electric current
which forces an exchange of electrons with a net increase of more electrons
ending up in one metal part of the tube compared to the other part.  Those
extra electrons must be ions (electrons not attached to any nucleus), yes or
no?  If they are not all ions, then if electrons are actually added to an atom,
then does that change the chemical composition of the metal (a change of its
characteristics as given by the Periodic Table of Elements)?  That is, with the
addition of electrons, does that make the matter a different element?

So then is the collection of extra electrons on one part inside the tube then
"siphoned off" and that becomes the tube's output?  More electrons are "pumped
in" by the flow of current into an emitting part?  Then, how is GAIN obtained ?
 That is, what happens inside the tube to increase the flow of electrons beyond
what is pumped in ?

Inquiring minds want to know.  Tnx, 73, Charly K4VUD

Charles Harpole
k4vud@hotmail.com