Re: [Amps] Future of RF AMPS

To: <g8on@fsmail.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Future of RF AMPS
From: "Leigh Turner" <invertech@frontierisp.net.au>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 11:09:07 +0930
Ah now Peter, those esoteric distortion correction linearization features
will unfortunately take a considerable time for us to see filter down to the
solid-state QRO amplifier systems used in the ham radio community :-(

The easier and more pragmatic approach is to over-design the SS amp's Po
capability, take the associated hit in efficiency on the chin, and operate
the amplifier well clear of its 1 dB power compression point...the resultant
linearity and IM performance will be "good enough" for all but the purists.

Keen experimenters can apply distortion correction technique for improving
the shape of the amp's intrinsic natural compression transfer curve and
thereby extract improved intermodulation distortion characteristics from the
FETS. A fairly simple analog linearity compensation approach using a pair of
log-amps for detectors, one on the input and one on output of the RF amp
feeding a comparator then the error signal drives a VCA; such a scheme can
make quite worthwhile improvements.

Also measures like using a diplexer style harmonic terminating LPF/HP
topology on the amp's output filtering can yield dividends in reduced IMD
and improved efficiency by eliminating the reflected strong H3 harmonic
energy messing up the FET drain waveform. These kinds of circuit design
measures can extract an impressive result from seemingly common or garden or
otherwise non remarkable extant RF power devices.

73

Leigh
VK5KLT