[Amps] Incidental intermodulation was Rectifier equilization?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Incidental intermodulation was Rectifier equilization?
From: John G3UUT <amps@grebe.plus.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 12:31:09 +0100
This effect is interesting and explains something I've been aware of for some while ie. that the quality of a local oscillator or your own transmission sometimes appears to be bad when listened to by pick up of RF in the shack rather than by a direct connection through a sniffer or attenuator. A related effect I've noticed in particular is that the bench fluorescent light in my shack causes this problem and what's worse actually causes intermodulation of the VHF RF signals it picks up directly or on the wiring. This effect being caused by the extremely non-linear characteristics of the lamp, the unstable characteristics of the discharge and the fact that the mains sinewave is sweeping it through the full range of the non-linearity. So be careful of this when monitoring or doing two tone and other signal quality tests.

Having worked on SDRs professionally I can well understand that they are particularly susceptible to these effects.

73 John G3UUT