Re: [Amps] Direct rectification of AC mains to derive the amp VDD supply

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Direct rectification of AC mains to derive the amp VDD supply
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 10:12:51 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 12:06:02 +0930, Leigh wrote:

>Achieving the requisite isolation with coupling / blocking capacitors is a
>risk as they have a propensity to fail...and not in a failsafe manner :-(

REPLY:

The requisite isolation would be achieved by transformers - toroids on both
the input and output to the transistors. There's your isolation.

And there are AC isolation transformers available on eBay, but that sort of
defeats the idea. I just saw a 3kva unit for $190 plus shipping in the USA.

Aren't practically all desktop computer power supplies run with the
switching transistors directly off the AC line? It can be done safely.

73, Bill W6WRT