Re: [Amps] Direct rectification of AC mains to drive the amp, VDD Supply

To: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Direct rectification of AC mains to drive the amp, VDD Supply
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 13:23:04 +0000
Bill,

Hi Manfred:  If this hotspotting problem occurs, say when doing RTTY at a
high power level, how quickly does it happen?

I frankly don't know for sure, as I haven't seen it happening yet. But since this is a process that involves very small structures, with very low thermal mass, I would imagine it to be really fast. The whole process of hot spots forming, running away and blowing up the MOSFET would probably take just milliseconds. On the other hand, maybe the devices need to heat up, before the hotspotting becomes really dangerous, so you would have the normal time constant from die to heatsink involved. In that case it could be several seconds.

But maybe the hotspotting will cause accumulative damage, rather than catastrophic. In that case it may take days or weeks of use, before the device blows up. Or it might happen only under certain load conditions, that cause higher dissipation.

For example, if one is
watching the drain current, would one see a gradual increase or a sudden
catastrophic one?

I think you wouldn't see any drain current change. Instead you would simply notice that suddenly the amp stops working.

Also, could this be tested with only DC? If one ramps up the bias with DC
only to where the push pull pair is dissipating 1500 watts without
hotspotting, could one be confident they would be safe doing RF?

I think yes. In fact, such a DC test may even be harsher than the actual RF use, because over an RF cycle the transistors spend some time off, some time very close to saturation (which are both safe conditions), and only a smaller time in their linear range with high drain voltage applied, which is the dangerous condition. Instead with DC they are all the time in that high voltage, linear area.

So, if someone has enough free samples of these MOSFETs to risk sacrificing one to science, it could be a good idea to make a simple DC testing setup: Good heat sink, a power supply of the same voltage intended for use (300V for an ARF1505), and a gate bias that self-adjusts to give a certain drain current (via feedback). Then try the device at various currents, each for a relatively long time, always within its safe dissipation range (which depends on the heatsinking used). Ideally with a thermal sensor mounted to the device, could be through a little hole in the spreader plate. If the device blows up while dissipating a power level that should be safe at the current case temperature, we can probably attribute it to hotspotting. If instead it survives testing up to the power level that can be expected to heat the silicon to its max temperature, we could conclude that hotspotting due to high voltage isn't a problem.

Manfred