Re: [Amps] Direct rectification of AC mains to drive the amp, VDD Supply

To: Alex Eban <alexeban@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Direct rectification of AC mains to drive the amp, VDD Supply
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:40 +0000
Alex,

I fully agree with you on this. I most often do it that way too. Even without the benefit of a rubber mat. But in this crazy world, where some people who mess up and hurt themselves look for other people to blame it on, and often succeed in their claims, one has to be careful when recommending any methods that aren't 100% dummy-safe! You never now what subspecies of homo not-very-sapiens might read it, understand only half of it, and then try to apply it!

Manfred

Alex Eban wrote:
For god's sake guys! Why complicate?
Do what power supply people did for 40 years when working on offline power
supplies: disconnect the scope's ground wire and stand on a rubber mat. The
scope transformer is tested at 10 times the line's voltage and the chances
of going bad are really slim!
I know it's not safely safe and all but I'm still alive after having done it
for the 40 years I mentioned. Just be careful. If you can find some old
Tektronix from the 500 series: these had transformers tested at 2500 VAC.
 And BE CAREFUL that's all folks!
Alex    4Z5KS