Re: [Amps] Other HV rectifier diodes

To: L L bahr <pulsarxp@embarqmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Other HV rectifier diodes
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 23:03:22 +0000
Lee,

If you have a 1000 volt power supply, what should the diode stack
voltage rating be?

In principle, just a little more than those 1000V should be enough, as long as it's a bridge rectifier. That is because with a bridge there can never be higher voltage across any of the four diode groups, than the voltage on the filter capacitor. So, basically the diode voltage required is the peak voltage at the highest line voltage expected, times the transformer ratio, plus some safety margin. And the output filter cap will charge to that same level (without the safety margin, of course!), under those conditions.

But since diodes are cheap, most people use more diodes.

I have heard it is good practice to make it 4
times the voltage of the operating voltage.

That can't hurt, and won't break the bank, but looks rather generous to me. In my NCL-2000 I used 5 1N5408 diodes in each string. That one works with about 2500V. So I have only 2 times the output voltage in the diodes, and that has worked well. This amp uses a voltage doubler, which poses twice the current load on the diodes, but the same voltage as a bridge rectifier.

If using a two-diode full wave rectifier with a center-tapped transformer (obsolete nowadays), I would use a higher diode string voltage, because due to the imperfect coupling between windings, transients on the diodes might exceed the filter cap voltage.

Also, would there be a difference when a choke input is
used VS capacitive input?

Yes. With a choke between the diodes and the capacitor, the clamping effect of the cap is lost, and any transients on the power line will appear in full across the diodes, as long as they are long enough not to be absorbed by the transformer's loss at higher frequencies. In this case, some sort of transient protection should be added - MOVs, Transil diodes or Tranzorbs. And enough diodes should be used to safely survive the highest voltage your protective devices might allow to show up, plus a healthy safety margin.

Now if you use beefy enough avalanche-rated diodes, the diodes themselves can assume this transient clamping function! A lot depends on the size of any transients you have to expect. Whether it's just the transients created by the fridge switching off, or that of a big industrial motor powered from a long line. And if you are expecting lightning hits in your supply line, better forget protection, and unplug the amplifier (and everything else) before the thunderstorm starts!

I remember a funny problem at the job: The circuit breaker feeding a rack full of control equipment was tripping, very regularly, once every half hour or so. The current actually consumed by the equipment was just one tenth of the breaker's rating. The guy in charge was scratching his head. I was asked to help him fix it. I also scratched my head. The breaker would trip out of the blue, after roughly half an hour. And again. And again. After lots of hours observing, measuring, guessing, finally we discovered the problem: There was a rectifier/filter connected across the line, to provide power to a system that was off most of the time. There was no bleeder resistor, so there was zero current consumption. That 450V rated filter cap was found to start at about 320V, and over the course of minutes the voltage would grow, and grow, and grow, reaching about 600V after half an hour. At that point it arced over internally, almost killed us with the sudden scare (it sounded like a gunshot), and at the same time the breaker tripped! This capacitor must have been slowly charging way beyond nominal voltage, just from little high voltage spikes periodically appearing on the line. A 220 kiloohm bleeder resistor across that capacitor fixed the problem. The capacitor had apparently not been damaged by the arcing and current pulses, but just to be safe, we replaced it and the diodes anyway. Neither my colleague nor I liked to be phoned out of bed at 3 AM to fix a sudden problem caused by an abused and degraded component.

Lesson: Don't forget your bleeders, if there is no other current drain!

Manfred