Re: [Amps] Power factor

To: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Power factor
From: peter chadwick <g8on@fsmail.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 22:03:27 +0200
Manfred,

In the EU, the harmonics impressed on the mains and the PF are governed by the
EMC Directive. Now the Directive has an exclusion clause for radio amateur's
home made equipment and for amateur radio kits, but a number of commercial
organisations are not happy with that exclusion when people such as
broadcasters are not excluded. Thus it is politically wise to keep a low
profile on what amateurs are doing to prevent the powers that be (who, as far
as the European Commission are concerned, have little understanding of either
amateur radio or the technicalities of radio or power electronics!) tightening
up the regulations. The restrictions do apply to commercially available
equipment, however, and I do not know how current linear supplies over 75 VA
meet the regulations. I understand some amplifier manufacturers have managed to
meet the requirements but with difficulty.....

Having had to deal professionally with commission people, I cannot say that I
have met one of them in over 15 years who I would regard as technically
competent when it comes to radio regulation in any form....as long as they are
fluent in three EU languages, preferably German, French and English, they are
accepted.

I am glad to have retired.....You people outside the EU are lucky!

73

Peter G3RZP