Re: [Amps] Plate modulation from power supply ripple?

To: Markku Oksanen <ww1c@outlook.com>, "garyschafer@comcast.net" <garyschafer@comcast.net>, Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Plate modulation from power supply ripple?
From: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 17:41:20 +0000
  It is a matter of degree. If the tube is operating in class-C it is swinging
from saturation to cut-off similar to a switch. The voltage that appears on the
plate swings about the range of
the power supply voltage and 10 percent ripple would produce 10 percent
modulation.
  However, if the tube is operating in a linear mode things are quite
different.
The extreme case would be a tetrode or pentode. A change in plate voltage
produces little change in plate current.
This, by the way, drives plate modulators crazy. To get around this the screen
is modulated so that from the plate modulators view point the impedance is
reasonable and the tube appears to be a triode.
The screen voltage changes makes the plate current change nearly proportional
with the plate voltage.
  Triode tubes operating in a class AB2 configuration do not saturate.
The effects of small plate voltage changes have a lesser effect on the output
power.
When operating SSB you don't have a carrier and this effect is not very
noticeable.
It tends to modulate the SSB signal rather than producing a hum just as in the
old AM radios that had
a electromagnet in the speaker that served as the power supply choke. There is
an effect but one
that is of a lower order you  may say.
  When operating CW it would be noticed but it would be perhaps 3 to 4 percent
ripple.

73
Bill wa4lav