[Amps] Alpha PA-76A bleeder/equalizer resistors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Alpha PA-76A bleeder/equalizer resistors
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 05:53:01 -0700
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 10:58:50 -0400
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
To: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha PA-76A bleeder/equalizer resistors

Jim, the tolerance is not that critical since there is plenty of voltage
overhead and the original 5% carbons worked for about 35 years.

Standard 5% 3M MOX from Mouser or elsewhere is fine for another 35 years.
All the ones Ive checked are within 2% anyway and modern replacement caps
are listed at 20% but come in around 10% or less at the values used in most
amps.

Carl
KM1H

##  I noticed that  Rich measures 560 uf   HV filter caps read aprx 19% on the
low side  for
some reason.   I had a batch of GE caps that all read 1800-2300 uf.... but were
stamped
1600 uf..go figure.

##  some folks like to  operate caps almost at their max V rating.  Factor in
caps that
vary a lot of uf between each other, and you might be cutting it close in some
cases.
In these HB HV supplies I build,  I never run the caps at more than 70-75% of
their
max V rating, so plenty of  headroom.

## Those .2% tolerance resistors cost dick, so I thought I would give em a
try..and
bought 300 of em.  It brings the concept of  forced V drop across each cap to a
whole new level..as
in they all read identical V drops..right down to 2 x decimal places.   All
300 resistors measured the
same, identical  99,980 ohms.   I know its overkill,  but I sleep better at
night.

Jim  VE7RF