Re: [Amps] More on two pin 220vac

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] More on two pin 220vac
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 23:21:17 -0700
On 10/14/2013 6:16 PM, Charles Harpole wrote:
Sorry to belabor this some, but if we read Mr.  Parascondola's first message
about the presence of voltage inside some Ameritron amplifiers, he seemed to
say that it did matter which side of the hot and neutral of the two-wire supply
220ACV was connected to the amplifier AC input.  Does it matter?

IF, AND ONLY IF, the power transformer primary has no connection to the chassis, it does not matter. If one side of the power transformer primary IS connected to the chassis, it matters a LOT -- someone could get killed. The way that could happen is if the plug was inserted with hot to the chassis, which puts 220V between the chassis and ground.

In my previous post, I suggested that the person with the problem open up the amp, give it a careful visual inspection, and carefully check with an ohmeter to make sure that nothing around that power transformer primary goes to the chassis. I repeat that suggestion.

This is not brain surgery, this is stuff that is General Class license stuff.

73, Jim K9YC