Re: [Amps] Keying Kenwood TL922 with Yaesu FT1000D (both old guys)

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Keying Kenwood TL922 with Yaesu FT1000D (both old guys)
From: Bryan Swadener <bswadener@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 12:17:23 -0700 (PDT)
Jean,

The TL922 T/R control has the same problem that the
Heathkit SB-220 has... whatever drives the "RL CONT"
input must discharge 0.02 uF (C27 + C61). While the
two relay coils' DC resistance permits only a small
amount of current to flow, the instantaneous
discharge current of C27+C61 results in a HUGE
current spike of several Amperes.  THAT is what
welds tiny 1A driving relay contacts and shorts most
driver transistor junctions.  Rich AG6K has suggested
using a small resistance in series to limit discharge
current.  According to the FT1000 user manual on
page 67, it can be optioned to drive up to
220 VDC @ 300 mA.

On the other hand, if you want something that is
FAST (QSK), look at what Jim W7RY offers.

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC