Re: [Amps] AL-1500 fan speed switching

To: Réjean Léveillé <releveille@videotron.ca>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL-1500 fan speed switching
From: Alek Petkovic <vk6apk@bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2013 08:58:46 +0800
The AL-1500 does come with a chimney. It is glass. Yours may have been broken by a previous owner and never replaced.

I bought my AL-1500 second hand and the guy shipped it with the tube installed. Needless to say, it was a mess inside, when I got it and opened it up. The chimney was busted, as were the grid fingerstock contacts. The pins of the 8877 were all bent inwards at about 30 degrees.

I had an Eimac 8877 socket and chimney and so I used the fingers, spacers and teflon chimney. I successfully straightened the tube pins and the amp is running nicely to this day. I recently replaced the marginally rated hv filter caps.

Your tips for soundproofing and wire size upgrade are very good. I will try that with mine. While I have it open, I will perform W1QJ's hv safety mod as well.

73, Alek
VK6APK