Re: [Amps] "N, " "TNC" and "BNC" connectors are rated at 500 Watts and

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] "N, " "TNC" and "BNC" connectors are rated at 500 Watts and work at 1, 000 Watts as log as the load is good..
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 03:04:01 -0500
On 11/11/2013 2:03 AM, Charles Harpole wrote:
Notice that the Alpha 76a warns to put no more than 100 watts thru it on stand
by.

Having used, misused, and abused N-type connectors, experience in the real world has shown me that these are not connectors to use for QRO. Yes, I know hams who have used them at the legal limit for years,

I have found N-type will run the legal limit if the SWR is low AND to you QRO is not 1 watt over the 1500 and usually at the end of several hundred feet of inexpensive coax.

With a center fed, sloping dipole, which is far from being a balanced antenna, I have blown Male and the double female connectors by moving 50 to 100 KHz off resonance. I've also had nearby lightening strikes take them out.

I'd prefer DIN 7-16 connectors, but haven't found a source at reasonable prices. Although their construction is such that a small shop could easily copy the design.

UHF connectors are fine if properly weatherproofed and the loss through 50 MHz isn't enough to be worth mentioning. I just do not like their lack of strength and they start to get expensive to fit LMR-600.

I'd limit my use of BNCs to a 100 watts as do you or replace them with UHF or N type for a couple hundred watts.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Charles Harpole
k4vud@hotmail.com