Re: [Amps] Chinese 4CX1000A from Alpha

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Chinese 4CX1000A from Alpha
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 22:29:38 -0500
On 11/16/2013 11:15 AM, Vic, K2VCO wrote:
I didn't intend to criticize Alpha. Alpha said they were
"interchangeable in these amplifiers" which is reasonable if they are
running lower screen voltage. Since they are using two tubes, the lower
efficiency and output from the 4CX1500B is not a problem. I just wanted
to note that they are different in more than plate dissipation.

True. Anytime Tubes are listed as interchangeable it often comes with unstated caveats that are only in the spec sheets. My amp lists the 4CX1500B and the Chinese FU728F as interchangeable. The transformer supplies the different filament voltage required, but I believe (without looking) that the screen voltage is higher than best for the 4CX1500B As it's capable of a peak output of 2500 PEP, but will run 2 KW key down, and the legal limit all day long. However it's going to kick into high blower on ling digital transmissions at 1500 watts out. The output appears very clean if properly tuned (max screen current within ratings) and there are no spikes from the driver running reduced power. I'm pretty sure I'd not want to drive it that way with a 4CX1500B in there.

There are 30S-1s running 4CX1500Bs in place of the 4CX1000s but they run no where near the tubes max ratings. That and I doubt the tank circuit/band switch would take it. They were after all designed under the old rules.

73

Roger (K8RI)