Re: [Amps] Chinese 4CX1000A from Alpha

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Chinese 4CX1000A from Alpha
From: Gary K9GS <garyk9gs@wi.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 16:51:06 -0600
Hello Vic,

I just took delivery of a new Alpha 8410 amp about 3 weeks ago.

What's really interesting is that Alpha is running a promotion where you get a spare pair of tubes or a wattmeter. I took the tubes. When my invoice was e-mailed, instead of listing 4CX1000A's, it said 4CX1500B's. Because Alpha also sells an amp that uses the 4CX1500B (8406 6 M amp) I thought someone made a mistake and I called Alpha about it.

Alpha said that they consider the two tubes interchangeable in their amps. They also said that either tube pair is way overkill for the amp. The power supply runs out of steam long before reaching what a pair of tubes is capable of. I think I read somewhere that they have the screen voltage dialed down to limit the gain.

Anyway, my spare pair of tubes arrived this week. They are Penta Labs brand.