Re: [Amps] Russian HV Supply Capacitors

To: radio@modesgate.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Russian HV Supply Capacitors
From: "Dr. David Kirkby" <drkirkby@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 19:08:32 +0000
On 9 January 2014 18:49,  <radio@modesgate.com> wrote:
> To the un-initiated, these look like an elegant solution to my HV
> smoothing capacitor requirement.  Perhaps too elegant a solution.  Am I
> missing something?  If anyone has an opinion, or direct experience of
> using these, commentary would be appreciated.
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/60uF-4kV-6kV-HIGH-VOLTAGE-CAPACITORS-New-Lot-of-2pcs-hv-plasma-laser-tesla-/201017069009?pt=US_Ham_Radio_Amplifiers&hash=item2ecd8d0dd1
>
> If they are any good, any info on cheaper sources (or any for sale in the
> UK) would also be good.
>
> 73
>
> Denis MW0CBC / GW8OQV

My concern would be what is the ripple current rating. It looks to me
these are designed for pulse applications, where the repetition rate
is probably very slow.

The 2000A discharge current is no doubt for a single pulse -  you
could not repeat that 50 or more times per second.

I may be wrong of course.

Dave