Re: [Amps] Russian HV Supply Capacitors

To: Harald <la6lha@mimer.no>, Carl <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Russian HV Supply Capacitors
From: peter chadwick <g8on@fsmail.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 11:02:28 +0100
Just over 40 years ago, I was working on the design of a 400 watt marine tx, so
needed a 1kV 1 amp supply. I was using a straight transformer - bridge
rectifier - electrolytic stack. Investigating the actual ripple current in the
electrolytics with a thermo-ammeter, I found the ripple current to be pretty
well 1.4 times the output current, almost regardless of capacitance once the
ripple voltage was down to below about 5%. I'm
sure that these days, there are plenty of programs around to calculate the
ripple current, but I use the 1.4 times usually as a rule of thumb, and haven't
been let down yet - except when using photoflash capacitors!

So your 1900mA ripple current rating may well be pushed a bit.

As Carl says, try it. On SSB with the variable load and the rest when on
receive, it may well be OK, but on RTTY or SSTV you could have a problem.

73

Peter G3RZP

 Message Received: Jan 13 2014, 06:53 PM