Re: [Amps] Building an Amp 101

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Building an Amp 101
From: k7fm <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 08:05:09 -0800
Hello Jerry:

Decades ago, when I was as poor as a church mouse, I wanted to do some build some wooden cabinets. But all I had was a circular saw and could not cut a board straight. I knew that I needed a table saw, but did not have enough money (Craigslist had not been invented yet). I saw a base unit in Popular Mechanics for $19.95 and bought it. However, it needed a wooden stand and platform. So, that was the problem. I needed the table saw to build the table for the base. And, it had to be exact, but all I had was the circular saw. So, I was forced to measure very precisely and use aids to make sure my cuts were straight. With care, the table was built and came out perfectly. Just before I plugged it in to try it out, it dawned on me that I had proved to myself that I did not need the table saw. All I needed was to take care in my work.

Since then, I have acquired a nice woodworking shop, a number of metal lathes and milling machines and am just learning to use my CNC mill.

I am now building an airplane with a couple friends. We needed to cut holes in the skin for controls to come through. Some were arcs. I designed a portable milling machine to cut surface holes for the straight holes and it works great. But, it did not work for the arcs. But, using a drill and file, we made the arc perfectly, and it looks as good as my milled hole.

With basic tools and a strategy, you can do excellent work and have great pride in construction.

But, please do not use Dymo tape for the labels. New and inexpensive labelers are marvelous.

73,  Colin  K7FM