[Amps] Tour of an Analog TV Transmission Facility

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Tour of an Analog TV Transmission Facility
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 14:12:36 -0700
The narrator/host is an obnoxious sort. I have watched his tear down of a Rigol spectrum analyzer, drove me nuts watching him try and second guess everything, and some of the time he was obviously wrong.

Australian broadcasting took a lot of care at that facility, very clean. Even inside the NEC tetrode cavity, not much dust evident.

In 2010 we dismantled a solid state ch 11 VHF high band analog in Arizona, for parts. It was 44 kW Larcan, and had many pallets with MRF151G-like FETs. We had to remove everything and get it off the mountain near Tuscon. The rig turned out to be in terrible shape, transistors and boards with burnt parts, and filthy inside. Lots of dead bugs in there. Air filtration was gone. The station had run it into the ground, waiting for the digital transition. I don't think it was capable of 44 kW combined anymore.

I was able to remove a bunch of the coax pieces, the splitters, couplers and combiners, and got a bunch of large Bird loads out of it but most of the RF amplifier boards and power supplies were scrapped last year to regain space. I reused much of the 3 1/8 inch coax for my test facility, from driver to final stage. We're at 201 Mhz, close to NTSC ch 11.

Message: 2