[Amps] Tour of an Analog TV Transmission Facility

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Tour of an Analog TV Transmission Facility
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 14:28:25 -0700
I watched that Australian YouTube host's tear down of one of the Rigol spectrum analyzers before deciding to get a better look with a demo. I got the version that played up to a few GHz for a week. It might be fine for somebody on a budget ($few thousand), but didn't suit me for a portable unit to look at pulsed amplifier output spectra. The control firmware was buggy, would freeze up and the response was slow. I've been using the HP 8651E, which is very heavy but a high quality old workhorse. Last week, though, Anritsu came forth with their VNA-Master, one up from their Site-Master portable analyzers. They are made in USA at the old Wiltron factory in Morgan Hills, CA. The box was a combo unit, a vector network analyzer and a spectrum analyzer, about the size of a big city telephone book. It played to 20 GHz (I don't need that) with 3.5 mm connectors (I needed N) but was versatile, accurate and convenient. They have lower coverage units, with 4 GHz top end.

I measured a high order bandpass filter with it, and it was right on with the manufacturers test data printout (from an Agilent machine). The spectrum analyzer allowed me to see a transmitter harmonic that wasn't possible on the 8651E due to its noise floor. Built-in GPS, Ethernet port, Vector Voltmeter, TDR, power meter, S/A + VNA. A little pricy for amateur test equipment, $15K, but considering what it replaced, is excellent for a start up company, field test, broadcaster, or a ham who has everthing. At work I need something to set up and install HPAs without having to drag the benchtop Hp 8753 and 8651E for two measurements. Anritsu might have just the thing.

John
K5PRO