[Amps] MOVs

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] MOVs
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 23:05:56 -0700
I have had a pair of large Harris MOVs across my main panel to neutral and line to line, for 21 years now. They are fed through a double pole breaker and there is a relay that fires a sonarlert if the breaker trips. We get some great lightning locally during summer monsoon season, and I haven't had any equipment failures that I know about. Only once has the breaker tripped. I knew it when I came home from work, the sonalert was sounding.

If they do fail open, then I would stand to be unprotected.

Professionally, I use more Transorbs (from companies like OnSemi and Microsemi). They are superior to back to back zeners for transient spike clamping.

73
John
K5PRO

Message: 5