Re: [Amps] Recommended Tuner for Clipperton L

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Recommended Tuner for Clipperton L
From: "qrv@kd4e.com" <qrv@kd4e.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2014 14:11:27 -0500
Weird amps list error the first try - trying again ...

Roger,

     Would you please explain "hiss"?

     What, precisely, is happening to create that sound?

     There are so few parts involved it seems that there's
either too small inductance (or perhaps the gauge of the coil
wire is undersized), too little capacitance (or perhaps aging
doorknob capacitors), or a tiny arc across an under-rated switch?

     Could it be that a small tweak to one part of the mix of
parts could compensate for the weakness elsewhere e.g. adding
capacitance balances the added stress at 160m such that the
marginal coil or switch is not pressed to the limit?

     Trying to understand the "why" behind the symptoms ...

Thanks!

David

I've had no problems with the half sloper, center fed droopy dipole
on 160, or the Fan Dipole on 75.  The Dentrons and MFJ 989 series
would all "hiss" at me on 160 near the top end of the band at much
over 1 KW out.

73,

Roger (K8RI)

--

David (NOT Dave) Colburn, KD4E - Nevils, Georgia USA

Safe & Secure Search Engine: duckduckgo.com