Re: [Amps] Recommended Tuner for Clipperton L

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Recommended Tuner for Clipperton L
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2014 17:26:33 -0500
On 2/2/2014 4:51 PM, qrv@kd4e.com wrote:
Roger,

     That's why I'm looking only at non-roller/rotary inductor
tuners - to remove the mechanical movement variable and the concern
about an under-rated device in an affordable tuner.

     Don't both the Dentron MT-2000 and MT-3000 tuners use only
tapped coils?

Yes, both use tapped coils. It's still pretty small wire for low impedance and a KW, but you don'y have to worry about the roller and oxidation.

I had several MT 3000s when the first came out, but have little recollection of how they worked on 160. We were limited to low power on the bottom 25 KHz of the band and that was quite a few years ago. Probably close to 40.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)

David

If the antenna in highly reactive (inductive) and the SWR is high the
 voltage goes high. Neither the MFJs or Dentrons had a high enough
voltage rating for much over what I'd get when the 160 antenna was
resonant near the DX window and I'd go to the top of the band.

Moving the resonant point to the middle, or upper end of the band
would eliminate the arcing at 1 KW, but then I had concerns about the
small wire on the rotary inductor when operating at the bottom end of
the band.

They really needed a higher voltage rating on a larger cap and a
larger size wire on the rotary inductor for current on low
impedances.

73

Roger (K8RI)

---