Re: [Amps] Breakdown tester, RM 215 L2

To: Denis Jackson <radio@modesgate.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Breakdown tester, RM 215 L2
From: peter chadwick <g8on@fsmail.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 18:30:17 +0100
Yahoo is your friend

http://www.benduncanresearch.com/manuals.htm

email: bdr@bdr-uk.com    Fax: +44 (0)1526 342 869

You can get the operator manual and part service manual.

Most of these machines are a power oscillator in the 50 - 250 kHz range  and a
rectifier.

73

Peter G3RZP

 Message Received: Feb 15 2014, 04:29 PM
 From: "Denis Jackson" <radio@modesgate.com>
 To: amps@contesting.com
 Subject: [Amps] Breakdown tester, RM 215 L2

 I bought this years ago, and have recently been using it to check components
 for my new amplifier project.  It's branded 'Avo' but I believe they were
 sold under a number of other brands too.

 Unfortunately, it now seems to have developed a fault, and I don't think
 it's generating any HV at all now, on either AC or DC.  I wound the voltage
 right down, using the front panel control, connected my (1000 V max) test
 meter to the HV probe and earth, and whilst I do get a reading, it rose to
 no more than 250V, with the voltage control subsequently turned to maximum,
 which should be producing 12kV DC.

 Does anyone have a circuit diagram or manual for this that they would be
 prepared to scan for me?  If anyone knows this piece of kit and has any
 ideas as to where I might start working out what's wrong with it, that would
 be useful too.  I don't have anything to measure the HV directly, but I have
 measured the resistance of the secondary winding. There are two taps, 4kV
 and 6kV.  Measuring from 0V (which appears to be above chassis ground), I
 have 43k ohms to the 4kV tap, and 60k ohms to the 6kv tap.  This seems very
 high to me, but perhaps not, given the ultra-low current that this device
 produces?  You will gather, I have no experience of such equipment.

 Suggestions or advice much appreciated.

 73

 Denis MW0CBC / GW8OQV