Re: [Amps] Force cooled heatsink aerodynamics

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Force cooled heatsink aerodynamics
From: Alan Ibbetson <alan@g3xaq.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 17:04:01 +0000

From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@wildblue.net>
I'm planning on using one of these in my solid sate PA project

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/17645.pdf

REPLY:

That is interesting. Do you know what the prices are and where to order
from?

I am paying just over £100 each, say $160, including the fan. Farnell and Newark have a tie-up so I expect Newark can supply in the US.

Also, I'm curious how your design places a high RF voltage on the
heatsink. Do you mind explaining?

I am planning on using TO-220 high voltage switching FETs which are primarily targeted at SMPS use. The drain is connected to the mounting tab. I did look into using a more conventional style of heatsink with an Alumina plate as a thermally conductive but electrically insulating interface between a copper heat spreader and the main heatsink, but the US supplier let me down on delivery and in any case was wildly expensive for overseas customers. This approach allows me to bolt the FETs directly to two heatsinks (in a push-pull circuit) and float the whole assemblies at drain voltage. I don't see this as being much different from applying an external anode valve.

At the danger of stating the obvious, I do plan on enclosing everything inside a case for safety!

73, Alan G3XAQ