Re: [Amps] Force cooled heatsink aerodynamics

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Force cooled heatsink aerodynamics
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 18:56:57 -0500
On 2/17/2014 5:44 PM, Markku Oksanen wrote:
Hi

I have one of these heatsinks that have two 120 mm side by
side and it is with the air flow chamber.

The chamber is just an empty box about the thickness of the
fans, in my case perhaps 35-40 mm.

It may be used to create turbulence.
Turbulent flow provides more efficient cooling than laminar flow.

73

Roger (K8RI)

How exactly this helps I can only intuitively imagine, I
would think that having fan blades rotating very close to a dense cooling fan
grid is not the most efficient way of pushing air through.

My project is for a pair 1200 w freescale dual fets for HF,
hopefully with some headroom for reliability.

Markku

OH2RA /OG2A /WW1C