Re: [Amps] Acom 1500 v Alpha 9500 quirks

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Acom 1500 v Alpha 9500 quirks
From: peter chadwick <g8on@fsmail.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 16:25:42 +0100
The problem I had with my ACOM 1500 was firstly, a PL259 with a somewhat small
centre pin and a SO239 output socket on the amp with a slightly larger socket,
plus a power spike out of my FT102 on the first CW dot which overdrove the Acom
and the protection circuitry did its job - and not by burning out a resistor!

Having fixed the FT102 all is well except for something in the outside antenna
tuner apparently arcing at 300 watts on 160 and tripping the amp - and it's
been too cold and wet to try sorting that out just yet...

The Acom 1500 is a nicely built job - I chose it because I have 2 good spare
tubes that I was given. Plus it was a good price, pre-owned, but still with
warranty.

73

Peter G3RZP