Re: [Amps] Working on my Darwin award

To: Vic Rosenthal K2VCO <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Working on my Darwin award
From: n8de@thepoint.net
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 22:59:58 -0500
The late Jim Ringland, W8JIN, had a great amplifier built into his wall next to the shack desk which had a door in the front which allowed the changing of 'plug-in' coils for the finals. This door had two interlocks to cut off the HV to the finals and ground the plates of the tubes. One day, he opened the door and reached in to change band coils and got ZAPPED by the HV ... throwing him across his desk to the far wall, upside down behind the desk.
It seems BOTH interlocks had failed SIMULTANEOUSLY!

RIP Jim ... and the ZAP was not the cause of his demise, though it took a while for the burns on his hands to heal.

73
Don
N8DE

Quoting Vic Rosenthal K2VCO <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>:

No, the breaker was OK. I have a 20A breaker on the amp, a 25A one on
the wall of the shack, and a 30A one at the service entrance. All three
opened up properly. But the relay that controls the primary of the
transformer stuck shut.