Re: [Amps] Using computer CPU coolers on GI46b triode ?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Using computer CPU coolers on GI46b triode ?
From: Kevin Stover <kevin.stover@mediacombb.net>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2014 07:04:19 -0500
On 5/9/2014 5:40 AM, Jonathan White wrote:
Hi.
  Can anyone care to give any thoughts on using this tube sold without its
cooler, the seller said Russian hams were using CPU heat exchangers, with
cooling fans.
  73`s Jon G8CCL.

I'd like to see how they interface the CPU heat sink to the tube.
One of the things that makes a CPU heat sink work is the fact that it is clamped, with some considerable force, to the CPU socket and the use of metal bearing heat sink compounds on two flat surfaces. Aren't the plates of ceramic/metal tubes domed?

The heat sink on my quad core cpu is about four inches square of very thin copper fins soldered to copper heat risers (tubes) which are soldered to a flat copper heat spreader. The whole shooting match gets a 120mm speed controlled fan which blows air through the copper fins. This is an aftermarket heat sink. The ones that come with the processor are barely adequate.

In my old overclocking days we used to lap grind heat sinks and CPU heat spreaders to make them as flat as possible. We'd get an Intel Pentium Celeron 300A running at 300 MHz overclocked to 450 MHz, a 50% speed increase. Of course Intel hated it because everybody bought the 300A's and overclocked rather than buying the much more expensive Pentium II 450 processors.

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H